"Insurance That Comes with an Agent"
Agents Standing By | 225.292.7680
Auto Insurance AUTO

Auto insurance protects you against financial loss if you have an accident.

Read More
Homeowners Insurance HOME

A standard policy insures the home itself and the things you keep in it.

Read More
Business Insurance BUSINESS

Discover the perfect insurance options to meet your specific and unique needs.

Read More
Life Insurance LIFE

Browse a variety of insurance options in order to find the right one for you.

Read More
Health Insurance HEALTH

Learn about different health coverage options that fit your specific needs.

Read More
Boat Insurance BOAT

Finding insurance doesn't have to be difficult. We do the work for you.

Read More

Candle and Bible

During the holidays, seasonal decorations can help put your household in the holiday spirit. Unfortunately we tend to get caught up in the festivities and less concerned with safety. When not used properly, decorations - especially lights - can create safety hazards or cause fires. By taking the proper precautions both inside and outside your home, you can prevent hazards and focus on friends and family during the holidays. Follow these simple steps to make sure this Christmas is a merry one.

Christmas Tree Safety:

  • First and foremost you want to pick out a freshly cut Christmas tree. A tree that is too dry can catch fire easily. 
  • You never want to place a Christmas tree near a heat source such as a fireplace, radiator or stove. NEVER use candles to decorate your tree or bring an open flame around the tree.
  • Never burn old trees or needles in a fireplace or wood-burning stove. Opt to take it to a recycling center or have it removed by a community pick-up service.
  • Live trees are highly flammable due to needles and sap so keep a fire extinguisher near.
  • If you choose to get an artificial tree, look for a label that says "fire resistant".
  • Only use non-combustible or flame-resistant materials to decorate your tree with.
  • Be sure to keep the tree stand filled with water and monitor water levels regularly.

    Holiday Lights:
  • Do not overwhelm electrical sockets by plugging too many cords into a single unit.
  • Always unplug holiday lights when no one is home and when everyone goes to sleep.
  • Search old light strands for any cracks, frayed edges or bare spots. Be sure to throw out the damaged cords.
  • Never use indoor lights outdoors due to the fact they will not withstand the elements and can cause electric shock if damaged. A red label means lights can be used indoors and out, while green means indoor-use only.
  • When stringing lights and decorations above your ordinary reach, make sure you use a proper ladder with someone supporting the base.
  • Don't use holiday lights unless they have cleared the safety tests conducted by Underwriters Lab or another nationally recognized testing facility.
  • Do not hammer tacks or nails into the electrical cord when hanging lights. Use clips to safely attach lights to the house instead.

    Fireplaces & Chimneys:
  • Never burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. They may cause fire-starting embers or produce a build-up of dangerous chemical fumes in the home
  • Have your fireplace and wood stove inspected annually and clean out your chimney when needed.
  • Remove bags, ribbons, paper and bows from fireplace and surrounding areas after gifts are opened. These items can pose suffocation & choking hazards to children or cause a fire if it is near a flame.

    Children & Pets:
  • Place all ornaments/decorations and candles out of reach of small children and pets. Small/breakable ornaments can be easily knocked down which can result in cuts or choking. Opt for unbreakable ornaments.
  • Beware of toxic decorations and plants such as mistletoe, holly berries and poinsettias. Mistletoe and holly berries can be poisonous if more than a few are swallowed. Poinsettias are poisonous when eaten so keep them out of reach of kids and pets. 
  • Old tinsel may also pose a threat due to the lead. If you are unsure of its composition discard any and all old tinsel to be on the safe.
  • If you have children in your home, use safety caps on all electrical outlets that are not in use to prevent shock.
  • Avoid trimmings that resemble candy or food that may tempt a child or pet to eat them.

    Candle Safety:
  • Keep a close eye on burning candles and check them frequently to make sure they do not burn down too far or drip hot wax.
  • Make sure candles are placed in sturdy, non-combustible holders away from decorations and other inflammable materials.
  • Never leave candles burning unattended and remember to blow out all candles when leaving a room or before going to bed.
  • Keep them away from curtains, bedding, paper, walls, or other areas with the potential to catch flame. 
  • Put them out of reach where children and pets can't grasp them and knock them over. You may want to try battery-powered LED candles as a safer alternative.
Share |


Taylor Bishop said...
I just wanted to thank you for these decorating tips. Im glad you explained that you should have a Christmas Tree near a heat source, like radiators. That being said, Im kind of interested to learn if having a cover on the radiator could help. Either way, it seems its better to be safe and cautious, just in case. http://sentimo.co.uk/

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016

View Mobile Version
© Copyright. All rights reserved.
Powered by Insurance Website Builder